An experiment gone right…

very right!

Today, I decided to bake bread, something I took up again very recently after a fifteen-or-so year absence.  I planned to make a ‘challah’ (egg bread) because it’s one of my favorites.  Then, I got to thinking, “What if I add…?”…so I did!  I added raw sunflower seeds, chopped raw pecans, chopped raw walnuts, raw sesame seeds and an extra egg for good measure!  Here’s the result:

Nutty Challah, straight from the oven!  Oooh, it smelled so good!  That crochet-work you see was my eighth grade graduation gift from my Slovak grandma, 52 years ago...I've been repairing it, so if it looks a bit wrinly, it's because I have a lot left to stitch up and haven't ironed it yet!

Nutty Challah, straight from the oven! Oooh, it smelled so good!  The ‘gloss’ comes from a egg yolk ‘wash’, brushed over the dough right before it is put into the oven.  That crochet-work you see was my eighth grade graduation gift from my Slovak grandma, 52 years ago…I’ve been repairing it, so if it looks a bit wrinkly, it’s because I have a lot left to stitch up and haven’t ironed it yet!

I let it cool and took it into the kitchen to slice (I put half in the freezer).

YUM!  Beautifully textured, and I simply cannot tell you how marvelous it tastes, warm with a bit of butter!

YUM! Beautifully textured, and I simply cannot tell you how marvelous it tastes, warm with a bit of butter!

Why was it an experiment?  I wanted something heartier and healthier, so I just began adding the nuts.  Then I added a couple heaping tablespoons of sesame seed for good measure, thinking they couldn’t hurt!  I thought I may have ‘killed’ the yeast, as I feared the water was too warm, and the dough was very heavy and didn’t really ‘rise’ as I felt it should.

I popped it in the oven and prayed for it to rise!

And, as you see, it DID!  Very nicely!

My “Nutty Challah” was very delicious with the hot and spicy, Spanish-style chicken soup I made yesterday…I’d give you the recipe for the Challah, but I didn’t really measure all these additions, and some subtractions, like ‘less sugar’.

The soup, however, is 2 chicken breasts; 7 small onions, sliced and sauteed in butter until almost caramelized; 3 bay leaves; 3 large carrots, sliced; a half each of green and red pepper, chopped; a cup or so of ‘Romana’ dried beans (similar to Pinto Beans, but smoother and a bit sweeter); a generous sprinkle of ‘Pinto Bean Seasoning’; a generous sprinkle of dried Minced Garlic and dried Crushed Red Pepper; a generous sprinkling of Lemon Pepper and enough filtered water to almost fill a 4 quart pot.  Bring to a boil, then let simmer at least 3 hours, til the beans are soft.  I remove the chicken, chop it into chunks and put it back in.  No salt was added, because the chicken contains quite a bit.

And I didn’t take a photo!  Oh, well…let’s say I ‘owe you one’!  Next time, I shall!

Advertisements

6 responses to “An experiment gone right…

  1. Looks lovely, and I bet it smells fantastic too! I cheat and have a bread machine, but still use it a lot. One of my favourites is ‘beer and wholegrain mustard bread’…yummy!

    • It really is yummy, Leanne…the best I can say is keep trying, and make sure the water in which you dissolve the yeast is not too warm, and kneading the dough for 8-10 minutes is a must. I remember my first bread escapade in 1968, when we lived just outside Washington DC! Disaster! One could easily have built a nice house with the bricks I made!

      • I think it is the kneading that would be the problem, I don’t know that my hands could do it. I have had success with the bread machine, haha,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s