Day interrupted

As is my wont, when the fire alarm sounds, I grab keys, phone and most importantly, the camera.

Today, with strong winds off the lake and under 50 degrees F. with a 40 degree wind chill factor, I also put on a winter jacket and baseball cap, exited and walked toward the back stair well, which I always use to exit the building.

I opened the stairwell door to SMOKE–acrid, electrical smelling smoke!

Taking a very deep breath, I hustled down the stairs…the smoke was worse the lower I stepped, causing me to take a breath into my jacket sleeve and proceed down the five floors.

At the third floor, my eyes began to burn and water, yet I continued and made my way out the back door, noting the panic on the maintenance man’s face as he rushed by.

Once outside, there was this:

23MAY2013 Fire-1

*

23MAY2013 Fire-2

*

23MAY2013 Fire-3

*

23MAY2013 Fire-4

*

23MAY2013 Fire-5

I had tried to see into the lobby, but there was so much smoke, which was being blown right out the entrance doors.

I proceeded to the back, to get out of the chilling wind, and made my way into the back hall, which was still somewhat smoky after twenty minutes had passed.

???????????????????????????????

One of the residents mentioned that the fire was in the laundry room, so, curious as ever, I snuck around the corner and took this image:

"The Culprit!"

“The Culprit!”

The large dryer (gas-operated, by the way!) had been pulled by the firefighters from its normal resting place way in the back corner.

I waited for the firefighter (at left) to leave, then walked cautiously into the laundry room, where I found this:

Someone's laundry, burned to a crisp!

Someone’s laundry, burned to a crisp!

Just as I clicked, another firefighter came from behind, asking “Ma’am, who are you with?”

I replied I was a resident and that I catalog every fire in the building–but he sternly asked me to leave the area, and I did.

I walked back up the stairs with another neighbor and we chatted for quite a while, about problems with these machines which are owned by a company obviously more interested in collecting the money from the machines instead of regularly maintaining/testing them (there have been quite a few problems with this particular dryer in the past, and it’s the same one that’s been here since I moved into this building over six years ago!).

The smoky smell made me feel a little woozy…I napped under the covers for a bit because I had gotten so terribly chilled.

(I guess this old gal’s body really doesn’t respond that well any longer to a forty degree DROP in temperature in a less than a twenty-four hour period!)

I’m not certain if anyone was injured in any way, but I did see a gurney with an oxygen tank being rolled into the front entry…perhaps someone was a bit overcome, because that acrid smoke was just NASTY!!!

A special THANK YOU to our Chicago Fire Department firefighters…their response was very, very quick!

Advertisements

6 responses to “Day interrupted

    • Ah, thanks so, smacked, and so am I! The laudry room is on the ground floor at the other end of the building, and I’m on the sixth…but had a gas explosion occurred, I’m certain I’d have had some damage up here. I noticed that one pane of glass directly behind that dryer was missing this morning, so it obviously cracked from the heat…otherwise, our maintenance man did a fantastic job of cleaning up–walls and floor–because everything looked normal when I stopped in earlier. BUT…that horrid smell was still around, even the front entry doors were propped open, and hall windows were opened–it was freezing going down those back steps–icy cold lake wind again today!

    • Thankfully, yes, Malou, and our wonderful maintenance man, who is from Lithuania originally, had the laundry room sparkling clean this morning…one would never know there had been such a mess just 12 hours before!

      P.S.: Please give Francesca a ‘hug from her friend in Chicago’! Thanks!

  1. A fire is always exciting, except if it happens to you, I am so glad that it wasn’t too serious. That sucks about the drier, they should look after things properly, if the building had caught on fire it would have cost a lot more.

    • The worst is that it was a gas dryer, Leanne, which could have caused a very destructive explosion! The machines are leased, and that company seems only to be interested in collecting the quarters, and not doing much in the way of regular maintenance–gets my goat!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s