While looking out my window as I sipped coffee, I noticed a bit of smoke not too far away.
Oh, I thought to myself, someone’s lucky enough to have a fireplace on this damp, gray day!
Then I looked again, about a minute later, and saw this:
Definitely NOT curling smoke from a chimney!
A minute later, I was still unable to determine what was on fire.
But a minute later, at 9:32 AM, I knew exactly where the now-huge flames were climbing!
By 9:34 AM, the Chicago Fire Department was already at the scene…
…their hoses streaming water under drizzly skies.
It took the better part of half an hour before the fire was struck, as little areas of thick smoke would appear, then be dissipated.
Quick action by the firefighters saved this building…
…a Sheridan Road former mansion now owned by the Unification Church of Chicago.
I didn’t walk around to the back when I went over at 4:30 this afternoon (it was raining and my lens kept fogging up), but I’m certain the place has had not only fire damage, but is also soaking wet inside.
You can find the story here.
Apparently, a space heater sparked from the electrical outlet, setting a mattress on fire.
The lesson to be learned?
If you are using a space heater, as many who live in older Chicago buildings are forced to do, PLEASE keep it away from any furniture, clothing, curtains, etc.
NEVER use an extension cord with a space heater; plug it directly into the electrical outlet!
SAFETY FIRST, or your home could end up looking like this: